The Loh-Down

Sunday, January 9, 2011

An addiction I just can't kick

I love a good toy camera or Lomo, as some might call them. It's not as if I even use my Holga or my Diana Mini all that often, not as often as I would like to anyway. I've probably only gone through around 10 rolls of film since I got my Holga five years ago. But these colourful plastic cameras are just so pretty, every time a new design gets released, I have to resist the temptation to buy. What can I say? I'm addicted.

There's a certain excitement you experience when you shoot with a Lomo.  There's something about not knowing how your photos will actually turn out. There's the thrill you get racing off to get your film developed and then racing back to the store to see the results.  There's the result unobtainable via digital means - the soft vignetting, eye-popping colours and the slight blur of images that makes it look like you just stepped out of a Sophia Coppola film.  

Want proof of it's addictive nature? I can gladly say that since I've owned my first Lomo, I've managed to convert at least seven of my friends to Lomo Owner status. Maybe the forces of the universe are trying to telling me something.  Some addictions are just too good to kick?

My current faves:
Hello Kitty fisheye, Diana Mini Wonderland and Lomography Fisheye Competition Camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment