The Loh-Down

Monday, August 1, 2011

Impressing the rest


I've never been one of those girls who dresses to impress boys. I've always been one of those girls who dresses for myself and to impress my friends. 

From my mum, I've inherited a strong shopping stamina and my 'I want, therefore I need' attitude.  I've also inherited a sometimes-kooky taste in fashion.  She likes to quality items that you won't find anyone else wearing.  This often means that we'll spend the big bucks and I'll sometimes receive glares from old ladies and straighty-180s on public transport.

Now I'm not talking about anything outrageous but I have penchant for cut-out blazers and shirts (I'm told they're impractical) and pop colours which can turn heads (apparently, there's something called 'matching' but I'm not very familiar with the term). My philosophy is to live it up while you're young.  I believe you should wear whatever you want now, because in twenty years time when you have kids, they're going to laugh at you anyway. 

I had never given much thought to what wear until very recently. Last week, I bought the lovely Tocca fragrance which I had been lusting after for weeks. When I arrived home that evening, my brother declared that I "stunk" and refused to sit next to me, which I didn't really deem as a negative thing. I relayed the story to my colleagues the next day and I was told, "Oh, it's a girl perfume." Although I haven't been deterred from wearing the beautiful scent to work, I am very self-conscious wearing it out and about. I mean, how am I ever going to meet a cool hipster boy if he  thinks I stink? And yes, I absolutely refrain from wearing it when I know I have to spend time with the family.

This evening, he, the straight-laced finance worker brother struck again.  It wasn't my perfume the he had a problem with but my ASOS coral/ orange shift dress. It was a winner within the office and within two weeks of me purchasing it, word had spread and three of my colleagues were rocking orange and coral ASOS shift dresses. Apparently, it looks like uniform of the female staff of St George Bank.

It's not just my brother who doesn't get girl style.  On Saturday, I bought a Gorman chunky cable-knit jumper.  Just then a male friend 'liked' the above Facebook group, and he's one of the ones who likes my grass green clogs and cut-out blazers.  Eeeek!

So tell me, what's your style and do other people's opinions affect the way you dress? 

No comments:

Post a Comment